[Asterisk-Dev] 3rd party call control / CSTA , JTAPI orTAPIinterfaces

Schaefer, Mark Mark.Schaefer at onstar.com
Mon Dec 20 08:49:41 MST 2004

Alex,

	The only reason I posted was due to the flippant response by Nick Bachmann to Shahed.  As a company, OnStar has no intention of evaluating Asterisk or Digium for a production environment.

	The "Manager API" is a reasonable start to an API, but there are significant failures, that, in my opinion prevent it from being considered an API.  First of all, the API itself is the source code.  There is no independent interface that the API implements.  There is no failure moding.  You have no idea what state the system is in if there is a failure.  I'm not saying that it has to meet MY requirements to be an API.

	What I don't understand is why you first say that somehow OnStar has some sort of fraternal obligation to pony up money to develop Asterisk to meet our requirements, and then later when there is a requirement that Asterisk doesn't meet, you act as if I'm ridiculous to even consider that as a requirement.  What I was saying is that it is indeed ridiculous - ridiculous to pay money to fix a small problem when the entire switch is incapable of meeting our needs.

	Yes, vendors can and do sign up for liability.  An EULA (or warranty) is a end-user document.  If Avaya signs a legal document saying that they will pay OnStar for switch downtime, whatever warranty lingo you think we've missed doesn't hold any water in court.  This is all pretty standard - if a trucking company fails and shuts down a vehicle line, they pay our lost revenue.  Most of our legal agreements have clauses in them for back-charging.  It's a cost of doing business.

	I'm glad you don't speak for Digium.  I think Asterisk is a great product with very good momentum.  It's just too immature at this point to replace some of the production-level switches out there.  Maybe it's not my place (since I always get beaten down on this), but I have real trouble when people bash the newbies.

Jon, your response is right on target.  Thanks.