[Asterisk-Dev] writing a GPL G.729?

Steve Kann stevek at stevek.com
Mon Dec 6 16:26:32 MST 2004

Race Vanderdecken wrote:

>The G.729 people/corporations/researchers and such spent a bunch of time
>figuring it out so they deserve to have the right to charge for it.
>
>These are the rules of the game. Don't like it? Write it yourself and
>then give it away. But don't ask others for the shirt off their back
>because you are left out in the cold Mr. Grasshopper.

I don't know anything about Mr. Grasshopper's temperatures, but I would
say that you don't need to write it yourself..

Just use speex, and encourage hardphone vendors to do so as well.

It is the only high-quality, patent-free codec out there. If people
would invest half the effort they are putting into whining about G729's
patents into supporting patent-free alternatives, we'd all have less
headaches to worry about.

>Strange how no one is demanding free gasoline and free furniture or the
>right to copy the designs, but everyone wants free software.
>
>When software becomes totally Free, with no patent protection, there
>will be no one left to write the new software.

That's looking at another extreme altogether. The present copyright and
patent systems, as they exist today, don't encourage innovation, as much
as they discourage it. They certainly make it nearly impossible for the
little guy.

-SteveK