[Asterisk-Dev] Asterisk channel variable access: a proposal

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Wed Aug 18 11:32:09 MST 2004

On Tuesday 17 August 2004 08:46, John Todd wrote:
> I hadn't really considered actually making it a filesystem in
> exactly the same way /proc worked; I just wanted to lay out the
> structure with the "/" as the inter-field designator, but keep the
> data inside astdb (or a shim in front of astdb.)  However, I
> suppose "asterisk -rx database get channels/SIP/2109-996a codec-in"
> would work for you to allow external programs to access that data
> in a hypothetical example.

Ack.  No.  Please.

Don't put transient call-related information into astdb (or even in
front of it, using a shim).  Astdb is for information that you want to
remain across calls and across invocations of Asterisk.  It is _NOT_
for information which is call-specific.  That's why we have channel
variables.

Note that I have no problem with the information being available in
that format, just with the idea of placing it within the database (or
making it seem like it comes out of the database).

--
Tilghman