[Asterisk-Dev] Asterisk channel variable access: a proposal

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Wed Aug 18 11:37:57 MST 2004

On Wednesday 18 August 2004 14:32, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 August 2004 08:46, John Todd wrote:
> > I hadn't really considered actually making it a filesystem in
> > exactly the same way /proc worked; I just wanted to lay out the
> > structure with the "/" as the inter-field designator, but keep the
> > data inside astdb (or a shim in front of astdb.)  However, I
> > suppose "asterisk -rx database get channels/SIP/2109-996a codec-in"
> > would work for you to allow external programs to access that data
> > in a hypothetical example.
>
> Ack.  No.  Please.
>
> Don't put transient call-related information into astdb (or even in
> front of it, using a shim).  Astdb is for information that you want to
> remain across calls and across invocations of Asterisk.  It is _NOT_
> for information which is call-specific.  That's why we have channel
> variables.
>
> Note that I have no problem with the information being available in
> that format, just with the idea of placing it within the database (or
> making it seem like it comes out of the database).

I quoted your entire response as I'm a little lazy and didn't want to cut and
paste and attempt to reconstruct what you'd said.  :-)

What are your feelings on a /proc-style filesystem for asterisk "live" data?
That's precisely what /proc is like under Linux and it seems to make a *lot*
of sense, at least in a transient data kind of sense.

/ast/IAX2/35210/codec
/ast/IAX2/35210/peers
/ast/IAX2/35210/jitter

... sounds *great* to me.

I agree though that it should not hit any kind of real DB... that would hammer
your I/O.

-A.