[Asterisk-Dev] Asterisk channel variable access: a proposal

Florian Overkamp florian at obsimref.com
Tue Aug 17 07:19:15 MST 2004

Hi John,

Err. Never mind me, it can work that way, I never tried a 'path' in the
family name:

*CLI> database put foo/bar key test
Updated database successfully
*CLI> database show
/foo/bar/key                                      : test

It is a little confusing in my opinion, though :-)

> >Exposing this type of information outside the asterisk
> environment (for
> >external daemons, webfrontends, whatnot) would be excellent.
>
> I hadn't really considered actually making it a filesystem in
> exactly the same way /proc worked; I just wanted to lay out
> the structure with the "/" as the inter-field designator, but
> keep the data inside astdb (or a shim in front of astdb.)
> However, I suppose "asterisk -rx database get
> channels/SIP/2109-996a codec-in" would work for you to allow
> external programs to access that data in a hypothetical example.

Actually, if the database app is layer independent (ergo, could also be in a
MySQL db or whatnot) we wouldn't even need to fork an asterisk to access it.
On a busy system, that would be a requirement, I think.

> >I don't really see a need for this if we also have the info on a
> >historical basis as you describe below (registrations)
>
> Registrations are possibly different than channel invites,
> with SIP at least, and probably with IAX.  This would be
> interesting to alarm on, if a client makes a call from a
> different IP address than the one from which they're
> registered.  If this data was exposed to the dialplan, it
> would be a simple matter to build an alarm or call logic
> based on conditionals.

Point taken. Anti-fraud measure mostly.

> >Yes, very friendly. Maybe even privacy invasive though :-)
> For our own
> >data it's nice to have.
> >
> >Florian
>
> As I said, don't comment on my example.  :-)

*grin*

Florian