[Asterisk-Dev] bizarre registration behavior

alex at pilosoft.com alex at pilosoft.com
Tue Aug 17 20:05:52 MST 2004

> I have been a beta tester for Broadvoice ever since I first asked them
> about using Asterisk with it.  They have, since then, accepted hundreds
> of Asterisk users but have run into a problem.
This is SIP?

> Approximately 100 asterisk servers are successfully registering using a
> secret, then immediately sending another registration without the
> secret--which is, of course, denied. Then they start over, repeating the
> cycle approximately every 2 seconds. This behavior is putting a huge
> load on the Broadvoice auth server.
If this is SIP, as author of SIP registering code, its probably my fault,
as it was written initially overnight. That code was/is ultra-broken and
timeouts and alarms are subject to race conditions and not stable in face
of packet loss. Fortunately, I think others fixed these things.

> I have tried everything I can think of to make my own asterisk server
> emulate this behavior, but not successfully.
Try packet loss.

-alex