[Asterisk-Dev] bizarre registration behavior

Greg Hill gregh-asteriskd at hillnet.us
Tue Aug 17 20:52:06 MST 2004

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004, Thomas B. Clark wrote:

> I have been a beta tester for Broadvoice ever since I first asked them
> about using Asterisk with it.  They have, since then, accepted hundreds
> of Asterisk users but have run into a problem.
>
> Approximately 100 asterisk servers are successfully registering using a
> secret, then immediately sending another registration without the
> secret--which is, of course, denied. Then they start over, repeating the
> cycle approximately every 2 seconds. This behavior is putting a huge
> load on the Broadvoice auth server.
>
> I have tried everything I can think of to make my own asterisk server
> emulate this behavior, but not successfully.
>
> Any ideas?  Broadvoice has been very good to Asterisk users; I believe
> they're still the only company to allow Asterisk on an unlimited plan.

I'd suggest that they contact the owner of the account about it. With that
person's consent, maybe we could take an in-depth look at their config
compared against another which doesn't produce the behavior and identify
some underlying cause, whether it's software version, config files,
network issues, etc.

So anyway.. I'd be willing to have my config studied if mine were one of
the boxes misbehaving as described. I believe that others here would feel
the same. (but, since at this point it's a study as it pertains to a
particular vendor, this might not be the appropriate forum to conduct
it..?)

Greg