[Asterisk-Dev] VoIP SPAM, what's next ?

Soren Rathje asterisk at lolle.org
Wed Aug 11 05:55:07 MST 2004

Duane wrote:
> Soren Rathje wrote:
>
>> I see your point, but that would require everyone to register with
>> e164.org (or similar), which is fine when the entire world has
>> transformed into VoIP. But until then, there's going to be a lot of
>> false hits using your method.
>
> Actually it's going to be very difficult to blacklist VoIP spammers,
> you'd have to black list based on IPs not numbers, and even then the
> signaling host can be completely different from the media host, so all
> those trojans out there now supporting spammers of the email kind
> could perhaps get converted over to allow VoIP spam as well...
>
> On the other hand VoIP spam is realistically a long way off except for
> companies like Free World Dialup, where sequential numbering has been
> issued...

CID's can be forged, we all know that so that's not an option. Blocking the IP address of the signalling server is fine as the media stream will never be opened.

If spammers are using well known services like FWD, Nufone, VoicePulse etc. they will have their services blocked so they are forced to find the "bad apple" and kick him out in order to have their record deleted, customers will require that or simply move elsewhere.

It's a two stage rocket thing, one is to block "the bad apple" the other is to educate CLEC's, ITSP's and what not to control their users and prevent "bad apples" to infiltrate their services.

I noticed that some RBL sites by default block IP ranges allocated for cable/DSL customers, that could be one way to go...

UA to UA is beyond control but UA to PROXY and PROXY to PROXY is controllable. Worth thinking about.

(Feel free to replace PROXY with Asterisk)

/Soren