[Asterisk-Dev] AES voice encryption for IAX2

Adam Hart adam at teragen.com.au
Sun Apr 18 02:42:04 MST 2004

Derek Smithies wrote:

>James,
>

>>You're assuming, though, that both endpoints are machines running a full
>>blown OS that you can implement CIPE into.  What if I want to integrate
>>IAX encryption into a stand-alone VOIP device, like the IAXy?
>>

>Well,
>  you do need to have something that approaches a full blown OS.
>Otherwise, you wont have enough to handle something that can run the iax
>libraries.
> You are correct, the IAXy is a problem. My understanding is that the IAXy
>is a bit limited, and cannot do GSM encoding/decoding. Well, if it cannot
>do GSM, there is not enough cpu to do encryption.

Recalling a conversation with Mark, I believe IAXy's chipset has a
special AES instruction. So yes, AES encryption is very possible on the
IAXy. I'm very against this idea of requiring a layer below IAX2 for the
encryption. It should be purely part of the protocol itself, otherwise
we add a large implementation cost for hardware implementations
(although, I'm not thinking of myself, Virbiage's lan phone runs linux)
There's numerous other reasons why such a dependency isn't a good idea.
I'll will make a bold statement now - Virbiage's lan phone will have
encryption for IAX2, although this isn't my priority at the moment.

-Adam