[Asterisk-Dev] AES voice encryption for IAX2

James Sharp jsharp at psychoses.org
Sat Apr 17 21:30:46 MST 2004

> James,
>> You're assuming, though, that both endpoints are machines running a full
>> blown OS that you can implement CIPE into.  What if I want to integrate
>> IAX encryption into a stand-alone VOIP device, like the IAXy?
> Well,
>   you do need to have something that approaches a full blown OS.
> Otherwise, you wont have enough to handle something that can run the iax
> libraries.

The FarFon IAX phone runs IAX libraries and its not running a full blown OS.

>  You are correct, the IAXy is a problem. My understanding is that the IAXy
> is a bit limited, and cannot do GSM encoding/decoding. Well, if it cannot
> do GSM, there is not enough cpu to do encryption.

I was using the IAXy as an example...but not just limiting myself to it.

> You do need something with enough capability to do encryption/decryption.
> Thus, you are pushed into something with an almost full blown OS.

No.  Needing capability to do encryption/decryption means you add some
more processor cycles to the mix or offload the en/dec to something else
besides the primary CPU.

> In answer to your question:
>> What if I want to integrate IAX encryption into a stand-alone VOIP
>> device, like the IAXy?
> You forget putting encryption into the IAXy, cause it has not got the
> required cpu horsepower.

Okay.  Forget the IAXy.  What about the 4-port IAX to FXS standalone
gateway device that's sitting in my schematic layout software?  I'd love
to implement encryption into it, but I really don't want to have to a full
CIPE VPN client.  The ARM chip it'll have has plenty of chutzpah in it to
do encryption...or if I run out of CPU cycles, I can do it in an offboard
ASIC/FPGA.