[Asterisk-Dev] AES voice encryption for IAX2

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Sat Apr 17 22:28:06 MST 2004

Derek Smithies wrote:

>James,
>

>>You're assuming, though, that both endpoints are machines running a full
>>blown OS that you can implement CIPE into.  What if I want to integrate
>>IAX encryption into a stand-alone VOIP device, like the IAXy?
>>

>Well,
>  you do need to have something that approaches a full blown OS.
>Otherwise, you wont have enough to handle something that can run the iax
>libraries.
> You are correct, the IAXy is a problem. My understanding is that the IAXy
>is a bit limited, and cannot do GSM encoding/decoding. Well, if it cannot
>do GSM, there is not enough cpu to do encryption.

Nonsense. One of the key design goals in the competition that AES won
was the encryption must be ammenable to implementation on very
restricted platforms, like the tiny MCUs in smartcards. The GSM codec is
quite heavyweight in comparison.

>You do need something with enough capability to do encryption/decryption.
>Thus, you are pushed into something with an almost full blown OS.

That argument makes no sense. Most of the fastest machines in the world
are DSPs, and few have an OS. In fact the fastest are FPGA
implementations that don't even have a CPU :-\

>In answer to your question:
>

>>What if I want to integrate IAX encryption into a stand-alone VOIP
>>device, like the IAXy?
>>

>You forget putting encryption into the IAXy, cause it has not got the
>required cpu horsepower.

A solution that will not fit into small adaptors is utterly useless,
since that is what most phones will be, or be connected to.

Regards,
Steve