[Asterisk-Dev] AES voice encryption for IAX2

Derek Smithies derek at indranet.co.nz
Sat Apr 17 20:48:39 MST 2004

James,
> You're assuming, though, that both endpoints are machines running a full
> blown OS that you can implement CIPE into.  What if I want to integrate
> IAX encryption into a stand-alone VOIP device, like the IAXy?
Well,
  you do need to have something that approaches a full blown OS.
Otherwise, you wont have enough to handle something that can run the iax
libraries.
 You are correct, the IAXy is a problem. My understanding is that the IAXy
is a bit limited, and cannot do GSM encoding/decoding. Well, if it cannot
do GSM, there is not enough cpu to do encryption.

You do need something with enough capability to do encryption/decryption.
Thus, you are pushed into something with an almost full blown OS.

In answer to your question:
> What if I want to integrate IAX encryption into a stand-alone VOIP
> device, like the IAXy?
You forget putting encryption into the IAXy, cause it has not got the
required cpu horsepower.

Derek.