[Asterisk-Dev] Who is developing Shadydial?

Richard Airlie richard at darq.net
Thu Apr 15 07:56:33 MST 2004

On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 09:56:58AM -0400, mattf wrote:
> Hello,
>
> If you are considering using Shadydial in the USA, here are a few things to
> think about:

Hi Matt,

I'm based in the UK, where I believe the requirements for this kind of stuff
are a bit different (for now at least).

> 1. There is now a requirement for answered calls that don't go to agent
> within 2 seconds to have a recording played with the name and phone number
> of the company that is calling them. Here's the text from the FTC site:

My understanding is that in Europe we're specifically disallowed from
playing messages instead of providing a live agent. If we call someone
and dont have an agent ready to talk to them we can abandon them, but
guidelines state that no more than 5% of calls should be dropped.

> 2. You must also have an abandon rate of less than 3 percent of all calls
> answered by a live person, and have the logs to prove it.

Presumably Shadydial/Asterisk provides good logs of this?

> 3. It is also now required that you send a full callerID of a real phone
> number that the consumer can call back at a later time and request to be put
> on your company's do not call list.

I don't think this applies in the UK/Europe.

> We use the Asterisk-based
> VICIDIAL system that is part of the astguiclient package:
> http://astguiclient.sf.net/
> We have had a maximum of 60 agents on calls at one time using three asterisk
> servers on the system and it works just fine.

I'll take a look at VICIDIAL, though predictive (or fixed-rate overdialling)
is what we're mainly interested in. Excellent to hear that you're having good
success with an asterisk-based dialler though.

thanks,
Richard.