[Asterisk-Dev] Resource: RVM Server

Brad Bergman bradley at bergman.ca
Wed Sep 17 19:51:50 MST 2003

On Tue 16 Sep 2003 14:33, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> I'm currently developing a new resource for Asterisk, which I am calling
> RVM (remote voice mail).  It will consist of three components, a server
> for receiving, a queue, and a client for sending.

That's actually an excellent idea.

If you're looking for a frame of reference, you might want to take a look at
VPIM (Voice Profile for Internet Mail)... standards for exchanging voice
messages between servers over the internet.

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2421.html

You might also want to take a look at AMIS (Audio Message Interexchange
Specification), a standardized way for exchanging voicemail between remote or
different manufacturer's systems.

Unfortunately the analog version (which is obviously not what you want) is the
only thing I know anything about. One server actually calls the other, they
exchange some DTMF, and then the first server actually plays the message to
the second. It might give you some interesting ideas, though:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_unity/whitpapr/amis.htm
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/788/AVVID/amis-callflow.html

There's maybe an FTP-based version of AMIS also... dunno.

Just some food for thought.

Brad