[Asterisk-Dev] Resource: RVM Server

Steve Creel screel at turbs.com
Thu Sep 18 08:58:45 MST 2003

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, Brad Bergman wrote:

>On Tue 16 Sep 2003 14:33, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
>> I'm currently developing a new resource for Asterisk, which I am calling
>> RVM (remote voice mail).  It will consist of three components, a server
>> for receiving, a queue, and a client for sending.

[snip]

>Unfortunately the analog version (which is obviously not what you want) is the
>only thing I know anything about. One server actually calls the other, they
>exchange some DTMF, and then the first server actually plays the message to
>the second. It might give you some interesting ideas, though:
[snip]

It sounds like this is a very clear explanation of the functionality he is
looking for.  It sounds like the discussion has split to two different
functionalities: (a) Check my voicemail from any of the servers and (b)
Forward a message to a remote user the way I can to a local user.  It
seems the original post was talking strictly about forwarding messages.
Just because we've chosen to put a local voicemail server in each building
doesn't mean one building shouldn't be able to forward messages
(painlessly) to someone in another building.

The idea of messages always being available at each local server seems to
be a difficult design to justify - the reasons for having the voicemail
locally are inhibitive to the passing of audio files around all day.

Just my thoughts....

Steve

Steve Creel                                screel at turbs.com