[Asterisk-Dev] Resource: RVM Server

Ian Blenke icblenke at nks.net
Wed Sep 17 18:15:20 MST 2003

Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 September 2003 02:52, Steven Critchfield wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 16:33, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
>>
>>>I'm currently developing a new resource for Asterisk, which I am
>>>calling RVM (remote voice mail).
>>
>>Maybe I'm missing something very important. But if your sales staff
>>is local to the original voicemail, why would you want it to go off
>>site? You state how you want to listen to it locally, but you also
>

> That's just the point.  Occasionally a message is left for accounting
> which needs to go to sales.  Sales' voicemail is on another server
> (geographically, it's on the other side of the country).  Right now,
> even though accounting can dial an extension and speak to sales,
> accounting cannot transfer that message to sales, because the
> voicemail for sales is on another server.
>
> If you're going to suggest putting all voicemail on the same server,
> that's a no go.  Explain to your non techie people why the customer
> cannot leave a message when the gateway is down (or why they
> cannot listen to their messages).  That's shifting the problem, not
> solving it.

Why not simply rsync/unison the spool directories?

Use the same voicemail.conf on both servers, and mirror the underlying
.gsm/.wav files?

Once it's in a Unix filesystem, there are simple ways to keep them in
sync across a number of servers.

--
- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke at nks.net>
(This message bound by the following: