[Asterisk-Dev] asterisk crashing

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Sun May 11 13:01:58 MST 2003

On Sun, 2003-05-11 at 14:56, Gregg Lebovitz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am running a network of asterisk servers on a VPN and have had no
> problems until recently when I upgraded to the lastest RedHat 8.0 kernel
> (2.4.18-27). Now when ever I dial an extension on a remote asterisk
> server, the remote server crashes with a seg fault. (I can generate a
> core file in case anyone wants to see it).
>
> My two asterisk boxes are very similar running i586 processors each with
> a linejack card being used as an fxs port.
>
> I have tried both IAX and IAX2 for inter-asterisk communication, and
> both give the same results.
>
> I install asterisk and libiax from the lastest builds.
>
> The problem could be with the ixj drivers, but I can't figure out how to
> tell whether or not this is the case.
>
> Any suggestions (besides buying a zaptel card).

Use a kernel.org kernel, not the crap that comes out of RH. RH applies
some patches to kernel releases that do not have the approval of the
rest of the developers. It is likely to be more stable to be on a well
tested kernel. BTW 2.4.20 is available. Of course after bashng RH's
kernel releases I need to point out that there are patches for the
2.4.20 kernel that deal with some bugs found in the ext3 filesystem.