[Asterisk-Dev] FXO Hardware Sourcing

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Fri Feb 28 08:26:27 MST 2003

On Fri, 2003-02-28 at 08:39, Brian Johnson wrote:
> Ideally I would like a self-contained, remote office VoIP router (including
> 1 FXO, 2 FXS, and at least 2 10/100 LAN ports) that ties into the LAN at
> that end and can be configured to:
> 1. autointelligently route calls to PSTN or IP (should be configuarable and
> optionally get config info from, and possible route calls to, my remote
> asterisk server)
> 2. cooperates with other similar units and additional FXS devices to provide
> a cohesive system (for discussion, say piggybacking of units to support up
> to 4 PSTN lines and 8 FXS ports - it will tend to be self-controlling due to
> bandwidth limitations out of the 10/100)
>
> I know I can do this with a PC ... I'm talking about something a little less
> demanding on admin time ie I can set up a router with a Linux box that has a
> lot of flexibility or I can buy a SOHO/home user broadband router if I need
> less flexibility - but with less admin overhead
>
> I think there would be a substantial market for a (single source) hardware
> company that:
> 1. provides modular, self-contained units (some with FXO and FXS and some
> with FXS only) that provide a system that is modularly extendable
> 2. provides a full fledged VoIP PBX system hardware for single PSTN lines up
> to T1 lines that is modulary extendable
> 3. software to run/control it all with ease of initial setup with the
> ability for fine-grained, customizable control
>
> I think digium fills the role for 2 and 3.
>
> Providing 1. (or finding other hardware suppliers for 1.) will simplify the
> path from analog to VoIP for many, many, many users

Rarely do you find modularity and small port density. At that point it
is easy to build standalone units with set specs.

What you may want to try and do is talk with Adtran, or CAC about
getting a VoIP stack wedged on their router cards. At that point you
could populate the chassis the way you need it, and get your Voip and
router all at once in a better than consumer piece of hardware. Of
course you could probably build a small flash booting box out of digium
hardware and a PC that would fit the bill for small port density at a
cheaper cost for new parts.