[Asterisk-Dev] FXO Hardware Sourcing

Brian Johnson bjohnson at jecinc.on.ca
Fri Feb 28 07:39:41 MST 2003

While I agree with you, I've been investigating the suggested products on
this list to fulfill a role that Digium does not supply (I wish they did)

Ideally I would like a self-contained, remote office VoIP router (including
1 FXO, 2 FXS, and at least 2 10/100 LAN ports) that ties into the LAN at
that end and can be configured to:
1. autointelligently route calls to PSTN or IP (should be configuarable and
optionally get config info from, and possible route calls to, my remote
asterisk server)
2. cooperates with other similar units and additional FXS devices to provide
a cohesive system (for discussion, say piggybacking of units to support up
to 4 PSTN lines and 8 FXS ports - it will tend to be self-controlling due to
bandwidth limitations out of the 10/100)

I know I can do this with a PC ... I'm talking about something a little less
demanding on admin time ie I can set up a router with a Linux box that has a
lot of flexibility or I can buy a SOHO/home user broadband router if I need
less flexibility - but with less admin overhead

I think there would be a substantial market for a (single source) hardware
company that:
1. provides modular, self-contained units (some with FXO and FXS and some
with FXS only) that provide a system that is modularly extendable
2. provides a full fledged VoIP PBX system hardware for single PSTN lines up
to T1 lines that is modulary extendable
3. software to run/control it all with ease of initial setup with the
ability for fine-grained, customizable control

I think digium fills the role for 2 and 3.

Providing 1. (or finding other hardware suppliers for 1.) will simplify the
path from analog to VoIP for many, many, many users