[Asterisk-Dev] SEGV in CVS version of Asterisk

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Wed Dec 10 10:36:13 MST 2003

On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 09:58, Jonathan Tew wrote:
> I would have to disagree with the advice that you guys are giving this
> person.  If the module compiles in to Asterisk by default then it should
> be coded to handle the null pointer gracefully.  Other non-developers
> could experience the same crashing of Asterisk and have no idea what is
> going on or how to diagnose it.  All they end up doing is either stop
> using the product because it seems buggy or harass people over and over
> again on the users mailing list.

While you are right that the bug shouldn't exist, his first need was to
get the software up. So there needed to be a two prong approach here.
One being get this user using the software, and secondly getting the
code able to handle this kind of situation. I was only able to help with
getting the software started as I do not know anything about the channel
driver in question. Later the people with the proper knowledge can solve
that issue.