[Asterisk-Dev] SEGV in CVS version of Asterisk

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 10 09:50:36 MST 2003

I've been writting software with UNIX now for almost 20 years.
ANY time a program seg faults. (Plenty of mine have.) it is
100% absolutly for sure the fault of the programmer.  He simply
missed something.  Using a pointer without first checking is
is just not the "best practice" No excuses.  That said. Just
try writting  a 50,000 line program without even a mis-placed
comma.  Programs are written by humans

One thing about Asterisk is that there IS NO RELEASE SCHEDULE.
With other software there is a freature freeze followed
by a beta test period and then some "release cadidates" and
finally a "stable release" put out some place as a .tgz file.
Asterisk ONLY has a leading edge "current CVS" that has under
gone very little testing or QC.  This is not bad.  IT simply means
WE have to do the final testing and verioning controls.
If the current CVS segfault, fix it and send in a patch

One other open source software I depend on is "PostgreSQL"
those people test the heck out of each release and write a
detailed document listing all the changed from the last
release along with instructions on how to upgrade.  Major
releases come out infrequently.  Of course they also have
a CVS but claim that the current CVS may not even compile.
It would be neat if someone could do this with Asterisk
but, you know we all have other things to do.  So instead of
one person doing it we all do it ourselves

=====
Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
  Cell:   310-990-7550