[Asterisk-Dev] IAX2 call variable passing between servers

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Wed Dec 3 09:31:27 MST 2003

>On 03/12/03 12:42, Linus Surguy wrote:
>>Quite right, I am thinking of doing something slightly broader that your
>>original idea, however all I'm looking for is being able to transmit
>>variables over IAX - the rest can come later, the important trick is to lay
>>the groundwork now.
>[...]
>
>Everyone will probably baulk at the idea, but how about serializing
>things into XML and sending over as some kind of specially-flagged
>TEXT payload?
>
>This would enable a great deal of flexibility for
>application-specific communications (you could incorporate XML-SOAP
>or whatever) without requiring a completely separate communications
>channel, which I believe is the whole point of this.
>
>Alastair

Nice idea, perhaps, but seems a little on the "heavy" side.  Asterisk
programmers tend to be much more pragmatic.  Simple variable passing
seems to be adequate for any applications that I could come up with.
Perhaps XML could be passed in a completely different message type,
but my ideas for variable transmission are part of a call setup.

JT