[Asterisk-Dev] thread-safe and reentrant functions

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Wed Aug 27 10:23:50 MST 2003

On Wednesday 27 August 2003 12:00 pm, Gene Kochanowsky wrote:
> I would recommend it because it will force you to rigorously
> architect the application and would make it easier for others to

Have you taken a look at the source code yet?  The application has
already been rigorously architected.

> understand Asterisks architecture by just examining the code. Also
> I think the functionality of Asterisk is a natural for
> multiple-inheritance. I also think that it would allow you to
> create classes for threading and thread safe code that was easily
> maintainable across the entire application from a few classes. It

You can do this without going the object oriented route.  In fact,
it's already extremely maintainable code.

> would make porting to other platforms a great deal easier since you
> could also layer Asterisk. And lastly, I think it would allow you
> to architect Asterisk to make it a great deal more extensible than
> it is now.

It's already infinitely extensible.  How can you extend beyond
infinity?

> Design by functional decomposition is okay, but doesn't
> compare to designing with objects.

It seems to have worked fine in this case.  Why make the application
twice as complex with no additional features?

-Tilghman