[Asterisk-Dev] thread-safe and reentrant functions

Jared Smith jsmith at drgutah.com
Wed Aug 27 10:59:37 MST 2003

More comments below...

On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 11:00, Gene Kochanowsky wrote:
> I would recommend it because it will force you to rigorously architect
> the application and would make it easier for others to understand
> Asterisks architecture by just examining the code. Also I think the
> functionality of Asterisk is a natural for multiple-inheritance. I
> also think that it would allow you to create classes for threading and
> thread safe code that was easily maintainable across the entire
> application from a few classes. It would make porting to other
> platforms a great deal easier since you could also layer Asterisk. And
> lastly, I think it would allow you to architect Asterisk to make it a
> great deal more extensible than it is now. Design by functional
> decomposition is okay, but doesn't compare to designing with objects.
>
> Gene

None of these arguments seem to really point to C++ per se, at least as
as far as I can see.  Most of your items seem to deal with the
"architecture" of Asterisk.  Can you point to specific examples where
the current architecture is insufficient or inadequate?  I guess I don't
see how C++ "forces" you to rigorously architect anything...  I don't
mean for this to be a personal attack, but is it possible that you see
C++ as the "one true way" of programming and can't/don't want to see
that you can "rigorously architect" a program in any language?

Jared