[Asterisk-Dev] thread-safe and reentrant functions

Gene Kochanowsky gene at solutionsciences.com
Wed Aug 27 10:00:40 MST 2003

I would recommend it because it will force you to rigorously architect the application and would make it easier for others to understand Asterisks architecture by just examining the code. Also I think the functionality of Asterisk is a natural for multiple-inheritance. I also think that it would allow you to create classes for threading and thread safe code that was easily maintainable across the entire application from a few classes. It would make porting to other platforms a great deal easier since you could also layer Asterisk. And lastly, I think it would allow you to architect Asterisk to make it a great deal more extensible than it is now. Design by functional decomposition is okay, but doesn't compare to designing with objects.

Gene