[Asterisk-Dev] The hardware codec integration

Bruce Ferrell bferrell at baywinds.org
Tue Aug 19 06:08:18 MST 2003

As to who I am?  I'm a professional trying my damnedest to get up to
speed on this stuff.  My check depends on it.  What I've gotten from
"prime" movers is flat statements with no substantive information to
back them up.  Jeremy is not the only one.

Before it comes up, I do work for quicknet.  I've had my own share of
grief with those damn cards... Because no one will say out loud what the
problems are and what possible solutions might be.  I'm tired of beating
the same path that others have beaten.  None of us has all of the
answers.... Collectively, we have the ability to move VoIP forward just
like linux has moved forward.

This stuff is NOT, repeat NOT rocket science.  The hard parts are the
codecs and basically the government sold us all down the river on that
one.  H.323 and SIP are simple message passing protocols... Nothing
more.  This piece of hardware vs another?  It's just hardware.  I'm just
saying lets keep the rhetoric out of the process as much as possible.

The even harder part is acknowledging when there is a problem so it can
be fixed.  The latest cisco loads are sending out information in the
H.323 call setup that's making stuff based on openh323 barf...  Reported
yesterday on the list.  The information should be ignored by openh323.
Will it be fixed?  I know the attitude over there by the "prime" movers
is that cisco is always wrong so I don't know.

Is this really a problem?  Again I don't know.  When I ask questions of
"prime movers", I've gotten rhetoric and tirades, not references and
answers.  We're all in same camp (at least I think we are... I might be
wrong).  Can we all work together to makes this move forward?  Can we
bring new people into the fold?  I think it can be done.  But not with
"sound bites".

I've been in computers and telecommunication for over 20 years now...
Linux for over 10 years.  I'm not new to cutting edge stuff.  What's new
to me in the arena is the withholding of information and the nasty back
stabbing I've been treated to in private conversations that I won't
publicize further.

And for you Brian, I'll ask the same question I posed for Jeremy:  What
exactly is wrong with the cards?  What generation of card and what
drivers?  You're right, it is an evolving area.  Is it the version of
card that you're having a problem with.  I know the original driver
sucked hugely.  It's been re-written and much better now.