[Asterisk-Dev] The hardware codec integration

Brian Capouch brianc at palaver.net
Mon Aug 18 22:13:02 MST 2003

Bruce Ferrell wrote:

> I, for one, am sick to death of the "strong personalities" infesting
> VoIP.  I have yet to get a straight answer from even one of the gurus on
> what's right and/or wrong.  I'm not interested in supporting one camp or
> another... One product or another... I want to see all this stuff work
> together.  Ethernet does... Telephone stuff does.  VoIP seems to be
> broken up into little bitty fiefdoms of gurus trying to make sure that
> none of the others get's an edge and holding the community hostage.

Jiminy Christmas, dude.

If I saw one of the other prime movers of VoIP software taking on one of
the others like you do here, I might consider the attack justified.  Who
are you?

Yes, there are a lot of strong personalities involved in VoIP, just like
there are a lot of strong personalities in many of the other areas of
emerging technology I try to keep up with.  It goes with the territory.

My advice to you would be to take a chill pill for a few years.  Maybe
you could do some ASP development, or better, get involved in
.NET--monopolistic  control of the technology means you won't have to
deal with the personalities, the uncertainty, the competing ideas in the
marketplace.  IMO you aren't cut out for this particular segment of the
industry.  Come back when all the fun is over, and the technology is as
mature as TDM or Ethernet.

BTW I have four Quicknet cards that I have been trying to use with
various VoIP technologies over the last three years with only the most
modest degree of success.  Basically, they're overpriced junk.

Why don't you support Asterisk, and buy Digium?

B.