[Asterisk-Dev] Web GUI

Michael mike at Westphila.net
Fri Aug 8 09:35:03 MST 2003

>>> asterisk-dev at admininside.org wrote a 1.5KB message. i replied ..........................
> > Suggest you look at:
> > http://andreasotto.net/asterisk/
>
> Looks good. But "last updated 2002-12-15" :(

Sounds stable to me. :)

> We haven't tested it yet but we will definetely do so soon. It is very
> important to us that the config cam be changed easily whithout having
> to edit files and reloading the config. We have about 4500 phones here
> on campus that will perhaps be connected to asterisk soon. That would
> make the extensions.conf big and complex.

You might need the DynExtenDB should at least take care of the extension problem.

> But IMO it's even more important to have a central user-management and
> to have different users for every protocol used. Users should IMO be
> able to choose which protocol they use whithout having to use
> different passwords and I don't want to have the same user-data in
> several files.

You're going to have to do extensive testing if you want to be able
to bridge every protocol under the sun reliably, especially in
a multi-vendor environment.

> IMO we need to separate the user-management from the protocols. We
> need auth-modules (like sip express router from iptel.org). That would
> even make it possible to use radius for authentication.

You can use whatever you want for authentication.  Look at AGI .

> I know that this would mean great changes to the whole asterisk-system
> but I think it's worth it.

Don't count on the text configuration files going away.
Their simplicity is one of the core design elements of asterisk.
You should be able to implement most of what you need with AGI/DynDB .

$0.02,

-M.

--
.. Network Engineer > Megaglobal Networks > Megaglobal.net ....................