[Asterisk-Dev] best approach for a new isdn driver mainly for asterisk.. ?!

Steve Brown sbrown at cortland.com
Mon Apr 28 08:30:45 MST 2003

This seems very reasonable. The call-level interface
(linux.../Documentation/isdn/INTERFACE) to i4l looks pretty straight
forward and would sure eliminate lots of moving parts.

Also, I'd think that an Asterisk system for a small business with
existing isdn lines would have to support both bri lines and the
currently-installed isdn phones. This would imply quite a few (probably
more than 4) TE and NT ports.

Why not use a channel bank with bri card(s) and a Digium E1/T1
interface? There is no hardware to design and build. The cards are
configurable as either TE or NT. They are already certified for use in
most countries. The layer 1 protocol is completely handled by the card
so an i4l hardware driver interface to zaptel should be easy. And
lastly, if you want to do this on a budget, used channel banks and bri
cards are pretty cheap. I recently bought a Premisys cb and six 8 port
bri-u cards on ebay and haven't yet spent $200.

Just a thought,

Steve