[Asterisk-Dev] best approach for a new isdn driver mainly for asterisk.. ?!

Pauline Middelink middelink at polyware.nl
Mon Apr 28 14:57:21 MST 2003

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 around 08:30:45 -0700, Steve Brown wrote:
> This seems very reasonable. The call-level interface
> (linux.../Documentation/isdn/INTERFACE) to i4l looks pretty straight
> forward and would sure eliminate lots of moving parts.
>
> Also, I'd think that an Asterisk system for a small business with
> existing isdn lines would have to support both bri lines and the
> currently-installed isdn phones. This would imply quite a few (probably
> more than 4) TE and NT ports.
>
> Why not use a channel bank with bri card(s) and a Digium E1/T1
> interface? There is no hardware to design and build. The cards are
> configurable as either TE or NT. They are already certified for use in
> most countries. The layer 1 protocol is completely handled by the card
> so an i4l hardware driver interface to zaptel should be easy. And
> lastly, if you want to do this on a budget, used channel banks and bri
> cards are pretty cheap. I recently bought a Premisys cb and six 8 port
> bri-u cards on ebay and haven't yet spent $200.

Than you were lucky.
a) most of the eBay items i looked at wont be shipped to Europe
   (outside US).
b) for a professional business we can't rely on cheap buys from
   eBay, not if we want to stay in business ourselfs.
c) good channel banks with bri capabilites are expensive, so
   expensive that a few quad/oct BRI cards will win, esp. if
   they are based on the single chip solutions of Cologne.

    Met vriendelijke groet,
        Pauline Middelink
--
GPG Key fingerprint = 2D5B 87A7 DDA6 0378 5DEA  BD3B 9A50 B416 E2D0 C3C2
For more details look at my website http://www.polyware.nl/~middelink