[Asterisk-bsd] FreePBX on FreeBSD

Roger Marquis marquis at roble.com
Wed Oct 19 20:19:55 CDT 2011

> While I certainly don't want to involve the members of this list in a
> "he said, she said" type of situation, I think it's extremely
> unfortunate that Roger chose to phrase his message below in the way he
> did.

Nor do I, though I am surprised.  For those who care I will be glad to
send the complete email archive of our correspondence.  However, I do
stand by my opinion that the root of the problem is Doug's insistence on
modifying FreePBX's /usr/local/freepbx PREFIX in favor of the FreeBSD way
i.e., spread out in non-default directories under /usr/local.

> 3. After a period of time Roger replied saying that he wanted me to
> resume work on the port.

In which I clearly requested that Doug use FreePBX default paths unless
he was sure he could complete the project using FreeBSD path conventions.

> Meanwhile, I remain convinced that this software isn't suitable for a
> FreeBSD port.

Which is where we disagree.  My mistake was not insisting on maintaining
FreePBX's default directory structure.  It is unfortunate Doug spent so
much time and I spent so much money on a dead end but in retrospect it is
clear this could have been avoided by simply using the default FreePBX
path.  That the software could not be otherwise ported is no shortcoming
on Doug's part, he has done great work for me in the past.  Nor does it
reflect negatively on FreePBX developers.  It does, however, illustrate
the shortcomings of one of FreeBSD's port conventions.

Considering we all agree that an official FreeBSD port is impractical all
that is now needed is A) a simple sh script that installs the asterisk16,
php and mysql ports, B) installs FreePBX under /usr/local/freepbx, C)
configures mysql, and D) symlinks amportal.conf to /usr/local/etc and an
rc script to /usr/local/etc/rc.d.

This port does not need complex OS-specific patches. It does not need
unmaintainable port patches or equally unmaintainable Linux jails.  It
doesn't even need a Makefile.  It simply needs a little KIS and a shell
script or 'unofficial' FreeBSD port.

IMO,
Roger Marquis