[Asterisk-bsd] FreePBX on FreeBSD

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 22:17:34 CDT 2011

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 8:30 PM, Roger Marquis <marquis at roble.com> wrote:

> This is a good solution for those who don't mind binary distributions
> using defaults chosen by the package developers (whether deb or rpm).
> Unfortunately, this means a lot of unnecessary dependencies, a lot of
> unused code, and reduced security and performance.
>
> Obviously not an issue for those who use Linux distributions by default,
> they do offer many other advantages over FreeBSD.  But for those who use
> FreeBSD for it's maintainability a Linux jail or jail image is not the
> preferred solution.

I'd like to address a couple things.  First, I completely disagree that this
approach would result in decreased security.  I believe the opposite is
true.  Second, the speed impact would be negligible for all but the most
intense environments with the possible exception of network
latency/throughput(A jail would still be better at this than a full VM).
There's nothing saying this couldn't be a VIMAGE enabled jail which should
largely alleviate that potential issue as well.  Using Linux compatibility
might also result in even faster application:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_games_bsd&num=1 --
perhaps the only time I'll ever cite a Phoronix article.

What I didn't articulate well or at all is this jail wouldn't need to
utilize Linux compatibility layer, just an Linux-like filesystem hierarchy.
With some mods to PORT vars in the jail you'd have a completely source based
native install of all the prerequisites in paths FreePBX is designed for.