[Asterisk-bsd] FreePBX on FreeBSD

Ian FREISLICH ianf at clue.co.za
Wed Oct 19 10:00:58 CDT 2011

Doug Barton wrote:
> Meanwhile, I remain convinced that this software isn't suitable for a
> FreeBSD port. Obviously it is possible to get a specific version
> installed and configured on FreeBSD, but from my extensive work with the

It certainly isn't the easiest thing to install by hand.

> that they've designed and distribute.) Even if it is installed
> successfully I am highly dubious that their upgrade process would work
> as they designed it to.

I've been running FreePBX on FreeBSD since 2.5.1 and use the upgrade
process to upgrade.  There have been very few problems with the
upgrade.  The only consistent issue is with fw_langpacks because
it uses an incompatible option to cp '-u' which according to the
Linux manual performs the "copy  only  when  the  SOURCE file is
newer than the destination file or when the destination file is
missing".  This was the patch I mentioned, although I need to
re-write it.  I'm not sure whether its best to add the option to
FreeBSD's cp, or to change the installer in the FreePBX module to
'install'.

I submitted several patches to FreePBX to improve compatibility
with php-5.3 which was a few versions ahead of the php used for
FreePBX development at the time.

My shortcoming is that I do not understand the ports collection,
even superficially, to attempt to port FreePBX.  I always just
install it from an older tar (freepbx-2.5.1.tar.gz) and upgrade
through the web interface.  That said, if you can spare the time,
maybe we can finish the port, although my time is short.

FWIW, php.ini needs the following mods:
memory_limit = 128M
display_errors = Off
log_errors = On
error_log = stderr
magic_quotes_gpc = Off

Specifically the errors settings prevent issues in phpagi from
landing on stdout and being interpreted by asterisk as manager
commands.

Ian

--
Ian Freislich