[Asterisk-bsd] 7.0-RELEASE

Frank Griffith glassdude45 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 5 12:38:25 CST 2008

Nicolas Blais <nicblais at clkroot.net> wrote:  > Sorry about this gang, but I'm not really a programmer, just and end user
> of Asterisk. When I rebuilt my server with 7.0-RELEASE and then updated
> the ports, Asterisk would not install properly, crashing somewhere during
> the H323 build. So last night I blew the drive away again and started from
> scratch. This time I disabled the H323 support and Asterisk built without
> a problem. My phone system is working again but this time without H323.
>
> My question now is isn't H323 an older protocol that was developed for
> video? What problem can anyone forsee if I don't install the H323
> support?
>

> ---------------------------------
> now._______________________________________________

H323 isn't only for video, it's also used for voice. Microsoft's
Netmeeting uses it and when you properly setup asterisk with h323, you can
dial a peer directly from Netmeeting.

I personally don't use H323, but have seen places where that's all they
had (ie a gatekeeper/mcu/netmeeting setup).

BTW, I have 7.0-STABLE and can build Asterisk from the ports correctly in
either i386/amd64 on several machines. Perhaps you are trying to compile
the addons (that which I am also not able too)?

Nicolas.

My system is running now sans H323 support. And yes I did install the add-ons but only after the Asterisk build was successful.

  The previous builds where it crashed were both identical. The build would get somewhere into the H323 portion and then crash with the error message I posted previously. I never got to the add-ons portion.

  I don't use H323 but usually just accept it as one of the defaults. I usually turn off postgres, and a few of the other options that I don't need as well. It was only when I turned of H323 support that the asterisk build completed successfully. It's a mystery to me why your system got through it and mine didn't. I'm running 7.0-RELEASE not STABLE. Could that have something to do with it.

  BTW - I tried to upgrade one of my 6.3-RELEASE machines to 7.0-RELEASE but there were problems. I didn't write down the error messages. I simply wiped the drive clean and started again with a fresh install. Several of the installs ended up warped by some error message about ELF...something. Again I did not write it down but it happened repeatedly. On the 3rd attempt is went in clean and is working now. This intermittent stuff is what drives a person crazy.