[Asterisk-bsd] 7.0-RELEASE

Nicolas Blais nicblais at clkroot.net
Wed Mar 5 05:52:25 CST 2008

> Sorry about this gang, but I'm not really a programmer, just and end user
> of Asterisk. When I rebuilt my server with 7.0-RELEASE and then updated
> the ports, Asterisk would not install properly, crashing somewhere during
> the H323 build. So last night I blew the drive away again and started from
> scratch. This time I disabled the H323 support and Asterisk built without
> a problem. My phone system is working again but this time without H323.
>
>   My question now is isn't H323 an older protocol that was developed for
> video? What problem can anyone forsee if I don't install the H323
> support?
>

> ---------------------------------

H323 isn't only for video, it's also used for voice. Microsoft's
Netmeeting uses it and when you properly setup asterisk with h323, you can
dial a peer directly from Netmeeting.

I personally don't use H323, but have seen places where that's all they
had (ie a gatekeeper/mcu/netmeeting setup).

BTW, I have 7.0-STABLE and can build Asterisk from the ports correctly in
either i386/amd64 on several machines. Perhaps you are trying to compile
the addons (that which I am also not able too)?

Nicolas.