[Asterisk-bsd] 7.0-RELEASE

David G Lawrence dg228 at dglawrence.com
Wed Mar 5 05:47:57 CST 2008

> Sorry about this gang, but I'm not really a programmer, just and end user of Asterisk. When I rebuilt my server with 7.0-RELEASE and then updated the ports, Asterisk would not install properly, crashing somewhere during the H323 build. So last night I blew the drive away again and started from scratch. This time I disabled the H323 support and Asterisk built without a problem. My phone system is working again but this time without H323.
>
>   My question now is isn't H323 an older protocol that was developed for video? What problem can anyone forsee if I don't install the H323 support?

   Yes, H.323 is an older protocol, but it is used for both audio and video.
The main difference between H.323 and SIP is that H.323 is a packet-oriented
binary protocol, while SIP is a textual (human readable) protocol. Most VoIP
hardware these days uses SIP, so you won't have any problems leaving H.323
support out unless you have some special devices that only talk H.323.

-DG

Dr. David G. Lawrence
President
Download Technologies, Inc. - http://www.downloadtech.com - (866) 399 8500
The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Pave the road of life with opportunities.