[Asterisk-bsd] Reliability

Adam Vande More adam at imedmobility.com
Thu Feb 7 10:52:38 CST 2008

Tim St. Pierre wrote:
> I just set up Asterisk 1.4.11 on a FreeBSD 6.2 system, and have been testing
> it for the last month or so.
> I have a single FXO interface installed to provide timing.  The server is a
> Compaq DL380G2 with Dual 1GHz Xeon chips and about a Gig of ram.
>
> When I was running Linux, it was a pain to administer, but didn't give me any
> grief.  Now, I'm having calls not hungup, unexplained asterisk core dumps,
> unsuccessful calls, and calls dropped when they are on hold.
>
> All channels are SIP only.  No g729, no transcoding, just pure SIP.
> I haven't seen a load average greater than 0.3 on this machine.  I usually
> don't get more than 16 channels at once, and see about 20,000 calls per
> month.
> I'm thinking I should go back to Linux, but I really would prefer BSD.
>
> Am I doing something wrong here, or is the BSD port just not as reliable?
>
> Thanks
>
> -Tim

Please let us know if you find a cause resolution to some of your
problems.  I'm also having some trouble with calls not hung up, both SIP
to SIP and SIP to Zap channels.  I haven't experienced your other
problems although we do only about a quarter of your volume.  My other
problem has been with asterisk dropping calls because it attempts
changing to g.722 even though it's denied in sip.conf and SIP phones as
an option.  That's a nasty one but fairly infrequent.

--
Adam Vandemore
Systems Administrator