[Asterisk-bsd] Reliability

Richard Neese r.neese at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 10:41:21 CST 2008

On February 7, 2008 07:09:08 am Tim St. Pierre wrote:
> I'm not much of a programmer, so I haven't taken a crack at it a core dump.
>
> I was trying some creative logging to find patterns though.  It looked like
> it would get panicky when Meetme rooms closed, or if I did a pickup through
> a local channel (pickup was trying to re-invite, even though
> canreinvite=no), so I used to direct it through a local channel to get
> around that.
>
> Putting the Zaptel card in seemed to help a lot.
>
> I haven't had a core dump since I removed the pickup through local, but I'm
> still getting erratic behaviour at times.
>
> If I do a sip show channels, I get 100 or more channels, mostly SUBSCRIBE.
> I could have 40 for one extension, that only has 7 subscriptions on it.
>
> I have the entire overseas rate table listed as part of the dialplan, which
> is fairly large.  I would like to move that to a database lookup, but I
> haven't figured out how to do the pattern matching with a variable length
> key (some country codes are longer than others).
>
> I have 1.4.17 installed on a fresh DL360 (same specs, just fewer drive
> slots), and I am debating whether to move everyone to that machine (It
> would be phone only), or to rebuild it with Linux.
>
> If everyone else out there has been doing high volume production setups
> without issue, I would love to stay with BSD.  As far as asking for help
> with crashes and strange things, what info is useful to post?
>
> Thanks
>
> -Tim
>
> On Thursday 07 February 2008 09:51, Vince Vielhaber wrote:
> > On Thu, 7 Feb 2008, Tim St. Pierre wrote:
> > > I just set up Asterisk 1.4.11 on a FreeBSD 6.2 system, and have been
> > > testing it for the last month or so.
> > > I have a single FXO interface installed to provide timing.  The server
> > > is a Compaq DL380G2 with Dual 1GHz Xeon chips and about a Gig of ram.
> > >
> > > When I was running Linux, it was a pain to administer, but didn't give
> > > me any grief.  Now, I'm having calls not hungup, unexplained asterisk
> > > core dumps, unsuccessful calls, and calls dropped when they are on
> > > hold.
> > >
> > > All channels are SIP only.  No g729, no transcoding, just pure SIP.
> > > I haven't seen a load average greater than 0.3 on this machine.  I
> > > usually don't get more than 16 channels at once, and see about 20,000
> > > calls per month.
> > > I'm thinking I should go back to Linux, but I really would prefer BSD.
> > >
> > > Am I doing something wrong here, or is the BSD port just not as
> > > reliable?
> >
> > Tim, I've been running asterisk on FreeBSD for a bit over 3 years now.
> > The current setup is a 750MHz PIII with 256MB ram and 6.2.  The previous
> > was on a dual 550 Xeon running 4.7.  The current one has a single FXO
> > in it (X101P).  Both machines are Dell servers.
> >
> > I've never had a core dump and the only problems I've had were minor
> > config issues (the kind that are staring you in the face and you still
> [...]

ook for timing to work correctly with ztdummy. you have to do a few things.

1 cd /usr/local/etc/rc.d and edit the zaptel script. as it is missing ztdummy
in the module loads

on the end of the first line of modules before the " put ztdummy.ko and after
the first " on the next line.

then you have to build a new kernel with the setting "options HZ=1000

once you have done these 2 steps ztdummy should work.

the other issue is you need to streamline your install by disabling modules
you dont need.Look at the modules.conf and learn to disable modules. this
will help lower some resourcec. also if you dont need it do not install h323
and postgress/radious server. its all about stream lining your build.

if you need help with this let me know I can walk you threw this.

--
Welcome to the World. An the World gets smaller.