[Asterisk-bsd] Zaptel BSD 4.10 regarding

Krzysztof Drewicz 69 at 75.pl
Wed Apr 25 11:44:46 MST 2007

Knight Tiger napisał(a):
> Hi,
>         I am new to Asterisk and FreeBSD and I have a FreeBSD box to
> try out Asterisk and it is running FreeBSD  v 4.10.

FreeBSD v.4.10 could be named as obsolete today.
The 5.5 version is being known as legalcy.
Nowadays you should use 6.2, or wait for 7.0

> I understand that
> Zaptel is a driver for cards that enables you to call PSTN phones.
Yeap, very specific cards, ie.see http://www.zapatatelephony.org/ for
some history, or
http://www.digium.com/en/products/hardware/digitalcards.php for some new
stuff.
You should say what kind of connection you have from you telephone
company analog (plain coper lines) or digital (T1/E1).

While reading this page you could see that ISA zapata-based cards could
work with older bsd-releases, but this is a history (like linux 2.2.x).
> would like to know if I need to have Asterisk to use Zaptel ?
No, you don't have to. But this is rather asterisk-specific list.