[Asterisk-bsd] I think I've Been Hacked by an Intruder

Frank Griffith glassdude45 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 22 04:27:02 MST 2006

It was a false alarm. The VOIP provider logs litsed my calls with some zeros in front of them instead of the actual first two digits of the area code. Further, the destination column showed some pretty strange places like Liechtenstein, Rwanda and the Russian Republic. This really threw me off base. A little further checking revealed these were calls I made. I can't say why these strange destination cities came up in the logs but this is what threw me into a tizzy thinking someone must have hacked in.

Frank Griffith <glassdude45 at yahoo.com> wrote:
    Looks like it was a false alarm. Someone in a chat room pointed me to the /var/log/asterisk/cdr-csv/Master.csv file. There was no record of these calls in this file so I can assume the calls were not made from my * server.

Frank Griffith <glassdude45 at yahoo.com> wrote:
    Okay gang,

  My * server runs on FreeBSD-6.1-RELEASE and it's behind a FreeBSD-6.0-RELEASE gateway running IPFW. I opened up the necessary ports to allow * to run and so far so good. I opened an account with a VOIP provider and that service has been swell but...

  Today I looked at my call log that the VOIP provider furnishes on their website and someone has made calls to Rwanda, Lechinstein and the Russian Republic. Each call was only a couple of minutes and the money value of all the calls was only about $4 US. The provider said no problem they would credit my account but when I asked them what happened they said that one of their techs who helped me setup my extensions.conf file may have done some testing. When I told them that the source number showed up as the callerid I use on my * server he wasn't so sure then and said that perhaps someone did hack into my system.

  My IPFW rules don't log allowed packets so I can't see anything there. Is there someway to look into the * logs and find out what happened?