[Asterisk-bsd] Does

William Lloyd wlloyd at slap.net
Thu Dec 8 21:43:24 CST 2005

The analog FXO cards are a nightmare, I would advise staying away
from them.  If you need a couple FXO/FXS ports buy a sipura 3000.

Depending upon your voice quality requirements, hardware echo
canceling is the deciding factor.  While the software echo cancelers
in Asterisk are good, hardware echo canceling is better.

Are you doing TDM traffic switching or a lot of SIP/IAX traffic?

I've had very good results with FXS channel banks on T1 cards.  Don;t
be scared to try it.

Personally I think hardware echo canceling is still a must have if
you are doing SIP/IAX.  That means you either go with channel banks
and the latest hardware echo canceling T1/PRI Digium/Sangoma cards or
you get an external box like Audiocodes with hardware echo canceling
built in.

The first digium card was ok after I disabled most of the stuff in
the bios.  Adding a second card required digium to remotely log into
the machine to help get it working properly.  On the plus side the
free Digium tech support for hardware was excellent.

-bill