[Asterisk-bsd] Digium TDM21B and Zaptel

Andrew Stuart andrew at shopcusa.com
Mon Apr 4 21:44:58 CDT 2005

  _____

From: asterisk-bsd-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-bsd-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of A. Sila
Sent: Monday, April 04, 2005 8:31 PM
To: asterisk-bsd at lists.digium.com
Subject: [Asterisk-bsd] Digium TDM21B and Zaptel

Hi All,
I am facing a weird situation while trying to get a newly from Digium
acquired TDM21B card up and running. I am wondering whether anyone on this
list experienced the same thing and could help me out.
Here is the situation:
a). Without the TDM installed the system works fine, w/o any error messages;
b). Once the TDM card installed and duly configured as per Digium's
instructions (see below, e), Asterisk stops working, the system reports the
following error messages (part of the message):

Apr  1 03:27:03 WARNING[517]: Ignoring signaling

Apr  1 03:27:03 ERROR[517]: Signalling requested is FXO Kewlstart but line
is in FXS Kewlstart signalling

Apr  1 03:27:03 ERROR[517]: Unable to register channel '4'

Apr  1 03:27:03 WARNING[517]: chan_zap.so: load_module failed, returning -1

Apr  1 03:27:03 WARNING[517]: Loading module chan_zap.so failed!

c). If I remove the channel 4 (by commenting out part of zaptel.conf and
zapata.conf) Asterisk works fine -- obviously without the FXO interface;

d). The server's specs are as follows:

 - IBM, NetVista, Pentium IV, 1.8 GHz, 256 MB RAM;

- FreeBSD 5.3; Asterisk 1.0.6-BRIstuffed-0.2.0.RC7j

- Ports installation of Asterisk, Zaptel and Zapata using latest cvs version

e). The card installation was done following the instructions in
http://www.digium.com/downloads/tdm_inst.pdf;

Its configuration was done according to the instruction in
<http://www.digium.com/index.php?menu=configuration#TDM2XB>
http://www.digium.com/index.php?menu=configuration#TDM2XB

>From what I've read so far in this mailing list and somewhere else, it seems
several people are facing similar issues, none of the existing suggestions
worked for me though...

Thanks in advance

Lai

That is correct.

"

 A)	 Add these lines to /etc/zaptel.conf

fxoks=1-2 # Make sure that the FXS(green) modules are closest to the bracket
if you are looking at the side of the card with all of the electronic
components.
fxsks=3-4 # This is for the FXO module(s) because it uses FXS signalling, if
you only have one FXO module then remove the '-4'
defaultzone=us
loadzone=us

"

You only have 1 FXO Module. at least by the designation of TDM21B, if you
added a second FXO module then that is different.

Confirm how many modules are on the card by looking at it, if it is
configured as suggested you have 3 of the four modules. You would only set
fxsks=3

Hope this helps.

-Andrew