[Asterisk-bsd] Music On Hold, working with FreeBSD 5.3

harrisb at rcisd.org harrisb at rcisd.org
Tue Apr 5 09:19:18 CDT 2005

Folks,
Just wanted to share my successes.  I had been running my home * box on
FreeBSD 5.2.1.   Switching back and forth between 1.0.7 and CVS current,
up until a couple of weeks ago, when CVS started breaking.   MOH was
unusable
due to mpg123 thread problems.

I had read about the new format_mp3, but could not get it working under
1.0.7.

I knew I might have some issue with 5.2.1, as most the list messages
implied
the baseline OS was now 5.3-RELEASE.   So, I booted up off of 5.3 CD and
30 minutes
later had 1.0.7 running fine.

So, I figured, why not press my luck,  updated CVS, copied in the
format_mp3 patch,
sampled down 4 mp3's with 'lame', and MOH worked like a champ.

Interesting side note,   on 5.2.1,  CPU utilization for a typical IAX
bridged call ran
about 2-3% with fair amount of run time.

Under 5.3-RELEASE and cvs-current,  cpu utilization is negligble
accumulating much
less cpu time on-call or with MOH playing.  I haven't looked at it close
enough to see
if it's just a difference in the way 5.2.1 and 5.3 report utilization, but
it appears more
work is offloaded to system rather than user time.

Don't know about stability yet, but will see after a few days.

Bill