[asterisk-biz] Releasing software as open source

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 14:26:57 CST 2017

On 17/01/2017 21:01, AFShin Seysan wrote:
> nowadays, github.com <http://github.com> is probably the most popular
> place for any source code.
>
> You can also use Atlasian products, which for opensource would be
> free, you can use Confluence for documentation, Bitbucket for source
> control and Jira for Issue Tracking.
> Let me know if you have any questions.

Github.com is indeed popular and serves the most needs of dealing with
open source project development and collaboration (issue tracker, pull
requests, reviews, etc...). But of course, you don't have full control
and sometimes you reach some limitations. At kamailio we had to write
some script) to hook into their APIs because we wanted a special email
format for notifications as well as keep a mirror in near real time (for
who is interested to read more, I published it as OSS:
https://github.com/miconda/gitpushub). Another limitation is not
offering private repository without paying. As an OSS project, sometimes
you want to keep few admin scripts private.

Bitbucket offers private repos for free. I haven't used it much and not
integrated with Jira/Confluence. So it might not be the case there, but
I find it a hassle not to have the issue tracker, version control,
review system in the same portal for an OSS project -- it can add
overhead to administration, taking cycles from other OSS activities. We
did it in the past and I would not return there. The story can be
different if you have dedicated sysadmin resources.

Gitlab.com is another alternative for hosting OSS project -- I haven't
used it, so no first hand experience. But Gitlab can be also self-hosted
(the suite of tools used there is open source), however it is seems to
require a dedicated system for an easy installation and maintenance, be
safe to not break other services.

gogs.io is a lighter version for self hosting git repositories and get
the look and many of the features a la github (issue tracker, wiki, ...).

Cheers,
Daniel

--
Daniel-Constantin Mierla