[asterisk-biz] using fonality polycom endpoints for asterisk?

Mike Beirne beirne at mgjbnet.com
Sun Oct 23 11:47:24 CDT 2011

On 10/23/2011 6:45 AM, Robert Rothberg wrote:
> Fonality is Asterisk (Trixbox) based.  Anybody know if it's possible to
> flash over the custom fonality firmware with standard Polycom firmware and
> use these endpoints for non-Fonality Asterisk?  Got a client I do IT work
> for that asked me about dumping Fonality but they don't want to lose their
> investment in endpoints (approx 40 of them).  Thanks.
>
> --

Fonality doesn't use custom Polycom firmware, they just use a version of
it that is known to work well with their system. I used to work for
Fonality, so I know.

The Polycom configuration files are somewhat of a pain to edit, but it
is doable. And Polycom recommended templates come with the software
download from the web site.

Do you have a Fonality server in house, or are you using the "unbound"
service?

If you need help I am available too. When working for Fonality, I had to
remotely re-configure phones and Polycoms have a web interface, so it
isn't that hard.

Mike