[asterisk-biz] using fonality polycom endpoints for asterisk?

Patrick Lists asterisk-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Sun Oct 23 10:48:49 CDT 2011

On 10/23/2011 03:45 PM, Robert Rothberg wrote:
> Fonality is Asterisk (Trixbox) based.  Anybody know if it's possible to
> flash over the custom fonality firmware with standard Polycom firmware
> and use these endpoints for non-Fonality Asterisk?  Got a client I do IT
> work for that asked me about dumping Fonality but they don't want to
> lose their investment in endpoints (approx 40 of them).  Thanks.

As far as I know Fonality just packages the Polycom firmware so I don't
think your clients investment will be lost.  So non-Fonality Aserisk
should not be an issue. Just update the firmware to whatever Polycom
recommends. On recent models this is probably BootROM 4.3.1 and UC
Software 3.3.2 available from here:

http://support.polycom.com/PolycomService/support/us/support/voice/index.html

There is also new 4.0.0 firmware but it's locked behind their portal for
now unless you can get it from a Polycom distributor/VAR.

Have fun going through the 500 page Admin guide to put together the XML
config files to make these phones actually do something :)

Regards,
Patrick