[asterisk-biz] Calling Card / VoIP Service Provider Opportunity

Steve Totaro stotaro at asteriskhelpdesk.com
Wed Feb 16 06:49:43 CST 2011

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 1:04 AM, Sanjay Arora <sanjay.k.arora at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 10:40 AM, Nitzan Kon <nk3569 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>> Heh. Those were my initial thoughts too. Why would you need any partners if you've already had experienced people on board? rolling out a calling card platform is easy. Actually getting business/marketing is the hard part.
>
> May I butt into the conversation, Guys?
>
> I am a VoIP biz newbie, looking to get into it. All I have is
> marketing & capability for creating low cost support.
>
> I am looking for various ways in which I can create own branded, low
> cost VoIP. Being from India, (telecommunication is low cost here...I
> sometimes find VoIP prices higher than being offered by our mainstream
> telcos) I need a really low cost solution, with no minimum commitments
> while I setup my marketing.
>
> Also need integrated VPN based connection for Gulf origination and
> capability/client for smartphones i.e. Android, Symbian & iPhone.
>
> Any pointers? Welcome to mail offlist for business offers.
>
> With best regards.
> Sanjay.

I would start with this mindset of "Low cost support" and "a really
low cost solution, with no minimum commitments"

For every market, there is a barrier of entry.  If you are just
focusing on, "Really Low Cost" then what are you giving up?

Your support is going to lousy and so is your service.  That equates
to unhappy customers and a bad reputation.  It is much harder to get a
new customer than it is to lose one.

Is your marketing going to be that you are the lowest cost?

I go for best value, cost always a factor, but it certainly is not the
biggest factor.  I want to be able to pick up my phone and call
anywhere and the call needs to go through.  If it doesn't, I better
get good support quickly and have my problem resolved.  I need SLAs
that I can hold you to.

Is this a calling card or just service?  Home users or business?

If you don't have the money to get into the game then it is better to
stay out.

Everyone seems to think "VoIP + ? = $$$"

VoIP is relatively cheap as far as barrier of entry.  I suggest you
find an investor, partner, or venture capitalist so you can do it
right.

I don't know if this still hold true in the US, but typically, you are
not going to realize a profit from a startup for two years.  Two years
in the red.  With VoIP service, it could be much less.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro