[asterisk-biz] PRI vs SIP vs ???

Fred Posner fred at teamforrest.com
Sat Oct 30 13:07:12 CDT 2010

Also un top-posting...

On Oct 30, 2010, at 1:55 PM, Steve Edwards wrote:

> Un-top-posting...

>> On Sat, 30 Oct 2010, Steve Edwards wrote:
>>
>>> You need to define "better."
>>
>> ) Which one fits your skill set
>>
>> Your questions are vague and indicate a lack of understanding of the client's goals and of the underlying technology.
>
> On Sat, 30 Oct 2010, Brian Franklin wrote:
>
>> Steve Edwards wrote: "Your questions are vague and indicate a lack of understanding of the client's goals and of the underlying technology."
>>
>> ...you can always tell who the little people are :-(
>
> Actually, at 5'10" I am rather average.
>
> You did not provide sufficient detail in the client's calling pattern to allow anyone to suggest a relevant solution, just express their personal preferences.
>
> Assuming the definition of "better" is "lowest monthly outlay," consider 2 scenarios that fall in your original description:
>
> 1) Client calls the local pizza shop a couple of times a week, but the remaining 14 channels are in use 24x7 supervising call centers in India and the Philippines.
>
> 2) Client sends faxes all day long to local businesses, but the boss wants to keep in touch with his daughter as she tours Europe.
>
> Both scenarios are extreme, but plausible. Each has an obviously different solution.
>
>> Thanks everyone for your suggestions.  I'm leaning toward the PRI, using SIP Trunking for LD and as a Backup.
>
> A reasonable solution, depending on the details.

I love SIP, but didn't you originally say you're going to use DSL for the bandwidth? I guess another consideration is what is your DSL bandwidth and are you going to split that with data or dedicate it to voice only. I have the fastest available DSL here and realistically get around 0.39Mbps up, but it's reliable. If you're going to be trying to get 10 on DSL, it's going to be rough. As a rule, I like to deploy SIP, but before doing... you need to know your latency, bandwidth, and reliability. If you don't have a great connection, and you're running a good amount of calls, be ready for a good amount of complaints.

---fred
http://qxork.com