[asterisk-biz] PRI vs SIP vs ???

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Sat Oct 30 12:55:57 CDT 2010

Un-top-posting...

>> On Sat, 30 Oct 2010, Brian Franklin wrote:
>>
>>> Gotta client that is moving to a VoIP PBX.  Will need 10 concurrent
>>> calls with ability to grow to 15.
>>>
>>> a)      Traditional PRI with unlimited Local, use Least Cost Routing
>>> for Long Distance via SIP trunks via the Internet
>>>
>>> OR
>>>
>>> b)      Flat rate SIP trunks which includes unlimited  Local and Long
>>> Distance (no T1 card needed), riding on Dedicated DSL or Internet T1
>>>
>>> OR
>>>
>>> c)       suggestions?????????
>>>
>>> Which is better:
>>
> On Sat, 30 Oct 2010, Steve Edwards wrote:
>
>> You need to define "better."
>
> ) Which one fits your skill set
>
> Your questions are vague and indicate a lack of understanding of the
> client's goals and of the underlying technology.

On Sat, 30 Oct 2010, Brian Franklin wrote:

> Steve Edwards wrote: "Your questions are vague and indicate a lack of
> understanding of the client's goals and of the underlying technology."
>
> ...you can always tell who the little people are :-(

Actually, at 5'10" I am rather average.

You did not provide sufficient detail in the client's calling pattern to
allow anyone to suggest a relevant solution, just express their personal
preferences.

Assuming the definition of "better" is "lowest monthly outlay," consider 2
scenarios that fall in your original description:

1) Client calls the local pizza shop a couple of times a week, but the
remaining 14 channels are in use 24x7 supervising call centers in India
and the Philippines.

2) Client sends faxes all day long to local businesses, but the boss wants
to keep in touch with his daughter as she tours Europe.

Both scenarios are extreme, but plausible. Each has an obviously different
solution.

> Thanks everyone for your suggestions.  I'm leaning toward the PRI, using
> SIP Trunking for LD and as a Backup.

A reasonable solution, depending on the details.

--
Thanks in advance,