[asterisk-biz] DIDX Query

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Mon Nov 8 04:43:50 CST 2010

On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 11:57 PM, Peter Beckman <beckman at angryox.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Nov 2010, Chris Bagnall wrote:
>
>>> I would stay away from DIDWW. We have had lots of times where DID's
>>> just went dead and the answer was that the carrier stopped providing
>>> them with service.
>>
>> Wondering if you'd mind elaborating a little on that? We've just started
>> using DIDWW for a few international destinations, and I certainly wouldn't
>> want a scenario where they can be pulled offline for no reason and without
>> warning - that would certainly be rather embarrassing to have to explain
>> to a client.
>>
>> Perhaps someone from DIDWW could reassure the list?
>
>  I'm not from DIDWW, but here's what they might be talking about.
>
>  In the 4 years I've been a customer, there was one situation where numbers
>  they leased/rented to me went offline, and there was a lack of
>  communication between the end provider and DIDWW.  In the end it was
>  either Hong Kong or Japan or China numbers that were affected.  And yes,
>  they went away.  DIDWW kept me aware of what was going on well enough, and
>  though annoying and problematic, it only affected numbers in a certain
>  region, and I was able to get numbers elsewhere through DIDWW.
>
>  In the 4 years, this happened once to 5 or fewer of my numbers in that one
>  location.  Once.  My DNS provider, who had 8 years of 100% uptime, was hit
>  by a massive DDOS and was down for maybe 8 hours.  Operational issues
>  happen, and I am still with my DNS provider, and I'm still with DIDWW.
>
>  My business is not perfect, and neither is yours, dear reader.  We work
>  hard to make everything work all the time, but our job is complex and has
>  lots of moving parts, including the complexities and moving parts of our
>  vendors who are also trying to do the same.
>
>  Our business, the VoIP business, the business of communication, is
>  international.  And there are rules, regulations, wars, governments and
>  other powers that be that negatively impact how we are able to business
>  and at what price.  If the person who claimed "lots of times where DIDs
>  just went dead" would care to elaborate, such as locations, business
>  response to the issue and other pertinent information as I have done, I
>  think that would be more fair to both the company and the dear reader or
>  lurker or searcher than a negative statement without real explanation.

> Peter Beckman                                                  Internet Guy
> beckman at angryox.com                                 http://www.angryox.com/

Peter,

What was the final reason given as to why your numbers "went away"?

I am reading "went away" to mean that they never came back.  I can
also see how it could be understood to mean the problem went away.

Was it regulation, war, or what?

As for DNS, it is a best practice to have more than one server with
different providers..  I usually use two, one supplied by the ISP and
the second, one of the 4.2.2.x, for customers, and have seen up to
four DNS servers.

For my own stuff I use two servers but from the same provider.  I use
www.afraid.org (free) with no problems (that I am aware of) for a
decade.  Just make sure you make it private.

The only issue I had with them was my error for not reading and
understanding their service.  They have something that i have never
seen.  If not set to "private" or whatever the term is, other people
can setup subdomains.  Obviously, you can see where that could be a
problem.

http://freedns.afraid.org/domain/registry/

I had someone setup a subdomain and then use it for spamming.

Thanks,
Steve T